Monday, September 16, 2013

Pre-K

You know those moments when you really start to notice how much your kids are growing up?  I think Liam starting Pre-K was one of those for me.  I have been so excited and nervous for Liam since I decided to sign him up.  Joy School was a really important experience for us, but Liam had a very hard time going-he would frequently cry when I left him or try and hide before we went.  He has also had some big tantrum problems in the past 4 months that alternately made me thrilled to have him spend some time away and fearful for how he would behave at school.  Liam is bright and curious, independent and energetic, and I was very intrigued by how this would play out in school.

Well, Liam is about to start his 4th week of school and he loves it.  He was so excited to start that he didn't even say good-bye to me the first day and at the end of the day he asked if I could stay away longer so that he could have more time to play.  I love that he is having so much fun.  I also love his teachers and their philosophy of learning.  I know that Liam is going to thrive here and it is just the perfect start to his looooong educational career.  Now if only I could get him to tell me more about what he does.  I already feel like I have to pry details out of him with a million questions and I thought that wouldn't happen until he was a little bit older.

The start of preschool has changed up our schedule a bit and it has brought to my awareness how grateful I am for the past 4 years of "lazy" stay at home schedules.  I know we had many days where I felt like we did nothing but hang around the house and play.  I've hit the special point where I am blessed with a realization that those days are such a short lived gift but they aren't gone entirely yet.  I am so thankful to watch my children grow and to have the time right now to enjoy it.
This is the only picture of Liam that turned out on the first day of school.  It was so hot and sunny that day that every one of the 10 pictures I took he is blinking.