Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving has long been my favorite holiday: food, family, everyone is all about being nice to each other and thankful, and no stress of presents.  The past few Thanksgivings have also been big markers for our family too.  Two years ago, we came home from Thanksgiving to find our apartment flooded.  That ushered in a few months of stress and trials for us, but also a lot of generosity.  In the midst of all that, we found out I was pregnant with Amelie.  That holiday season will forever stand out in my mind as a reminder of what I have to be most thankful for.  Last Thanksgiving, after many months of worry and prayer about our family's future, Spencer was offered a great job.  We moved a few short weeks later and that was a stressful holiday too, but in a different way.  We were so excited for what our new life would bring.

This year, after several years of life being a little unsettled, we enjoyed hosting our first Thanksgiving in our new home.  This Thanksgiving was just what I imagined hosting Thanksgiving would be.  We loved being surrounded by family (although we really missed all the family who couldn't be with us).  We are thankful that Grandma, Aunt Lauren, Aunt Jeni and Uncle Dave + family came.  We had lots of fun.
Everyone dressed in their Thanksgiving finery (courtesy of my mom).  My mom always finds something funny and goofy for every holiday.  In fact, everyone looks forward to what "Aunt Nan" will bring.  My mom has shared the tradition by always sending a box of goodies when we celebrate with Spencer's family.  I love sharing traditions.
It was so fun to use our china and our dining room!  When I was a girl, I always loved helping my mom set the table for holidays using her fancy china.  It felt so special to do it "right" since there are so few times we really use fine china. 

My mom sent this blow up turkey leg and Grandma T. knew just the perfect use for it!  She had a game that used a turkey leg that was such a big hit, Liam still asks to play it.  Obviously, Amelie was a little unsure about the turkey leg at first.
I love food and I love cooking and that might be why Thanksgiving is such a great holiday.  I loved that our Thanksgiving feast included traditions from everyone's families as well as some new additions that might yet become traditions: Spencer's family's favorite stuffing and Grandma T's delicious pies; Uncle Dave's favorite family rolls (which are a serious labor of love from Jeni); my family's favorite corn pudding and cranberry glazed carrots with shallots; everyone's favorite sweet potato casserole and the grilled asparagus was a new favorite.
Amidst all the revelry, I can't help but reflect on the many blessings I have to be thankful for.  I could write a list that would go on for a very long time, but certainly at the top is my family and my faith.  I'm sad that Thanksgiving is over already, but I love that it ushers in the Christmas season.
And a picture of the twin cousins-just because they are so cute!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so impressed that you hosted Thanksgiving! I feel like it's a right of passage to adulthood that I have yet to arrive at. Everything looks beautiful!

Lauren said...

You have such a darling little family! I'm glad you were able to enjoy a great Thanksgiving!