Thursday, August 27, 2009

Guess Who's Back?

We made it safe, sound, and without incident all the way across the country. I always said that I wanted to drive cross-country just once in my life to experience how vast the United States is. Well, we did, and I can now more honestly say how glad I am for air travel. Rather than giving a ridiculously long travel log, we will again list the top five things we have learned from our travels.
1. Nebraska is not as ugly as everybody says it is. While this picture does not highlight it's beauty, we both thought Nebraska had it's own unique beauty. Indiana on the other hand... (no offense to any Indianans, is that right? What do you call a person from Indiana anyway?)



2. Everybody loves a baby- once you leave the state of Utah. Seriously. If I had a nickle for everyone who cooed at Liam, he would have a nice little college fund :) During our trip we had the pleasure to visit with two of Spencer's sisters and their adorable children. Cousins are the best! See how much they love Liam?


3. Politicos will find political fun wherever their travels may take them. You may remember Spencer with the political ad in Rome, well in Des Moines we happened to see the CNN Express bus which was at the Iowa state fair talking about health care reform. This was the most exciting thing we saw. We made a little stop in Des Moines to see the famed Iowa state fair. As previously mentioned, Spencer and I are working our way through The 1,000 Places to See Before You Die. The Iowa State Fair is listed AND as a bonus it holds a lot of political interest (although I'm guessing it would have been more exciting during an election year). Mostly, it was just a state fair, but bigger. We did succumb and try a fried snickers bar. I will admit, it sounded better than it actually tasted.



4. Sample the local cuisine, it's good! Here we are with the other cousins enjoying Chicago deep dish pizza. It was so good we ate it twice while in Chicago, but from two different restaurants. In case you are wondering, we almost unanimously concluded that Gino's pizza is the best.


5. It is SO good to finally get to your destination, even when driving cross-country is kind of a vacation. While we miss friends and family back in Utah, we are really excited for our new adventures in the East!

2 comments:

The Colledge Clan said...

Hey, Indiana has it's own beauty too. There's something about miles of soy bean fields. And you apparently haven't driven from Utah to Northern Cali. That I've heard (and partly driven) is actually one of the worst drives, ever. I can say from experience that I would drive around Indiana any day to avoid going from Salt Lake to Elko, NV. At least there are trees in Colt's country.

Heather Jacques Wood said...

Congratulations on completing your cross country tour! We ate at Gino's when we were in Chicago and it was delicious. I've always wondered about the fried Snicker's bars--too bad they aren't as tasty as they sound. Hope you're enjoying your new digs.