Friday, March 6, 2009

Interesting...

I came across http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/opinion/02zeedyk.html?ref=opinion with this follow up http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/opinion/l06strollers.html?_r=1 and found them very fascinating. They won't take you long to read either.

Maybe I find the topic so fascinating because I work with children 0-3 who primarily have speech delays, or because I am soon going to be a mother. Either way, I think it is a good example of just how many different opinions there are on parenting. Even strollers affecting speech for crying out loud! I tend to take a slightly more laid back approach. I think talking to your children is very important (it's the first thing I always recommend to the families I work with), but I don't think kids have speech delays because they had a forward facing strolller. Maybe if that is the only interaction a child has all day everyday. I agree with the letter to the editor who said it's just giving parents another thing to worry about. In my opinion the ones who care about this are probably already doing what they need to have their child talk.

I guess you can probably tell that I like my job :) Sorry for the time lapse in posting, we'll post more soon.

1 comment:

Mom T said...

I neglected to respond to this posting. I couldn't agree with you more! If a child is spending that much time in a stroller to affect his language development, there are much bigger problems than a forward facing stroller!