Sunday, March 22, 2009

Say What

Being pregnant gets you special treatment, no surprise there. More people hold doors for, give up chairs for, and are generally friendlier to me as I have become very much more noticeably pregnant. People also say some pretty strange things. I expect a variety of opinions, whether friendly or accusatory from people in elevators or grocery stores.

Most unexpected, however, was my experience with some pan handlers recently. Spencer and I were taking a stroll when two pan handlers asked if we could spare any change. We politely said no as we don't carry any money (this is intentional as we always get asked for money by pan handlers). As we passed by, the pan handler said, "Oh, I'm sorry ma'am, you're pregnant. I see that now." I'm not really sure what he meant by that comment, but I guess he was the most polite pan handler I've come across. Everybody has a soft spot for pregnant women :)

No comments: