Thursday, May 13, 2010

Experimental Model #001


Liam's birthday is very quickly approaching, and with Mother's Day this past Sunday being my first "official" Mother's Day, I have been reflecting on my first year as a mother. I thought about how much I have learned in the last year, things that I couldn't possible have learned any other way. I'm not trying to make this a "if your not a mommy you wouldn't understand" kind of thing, but just like all of life's experiences, you learn a lot from what you go through. I feel so much like a rookie and then I realized that in some ways I will always be a rookie. Liam changes so much and with each change I have to learn new ways of caring for him and teaching him. Liam will always be my experimental model because when he turns 5 it will be the first time I've ever had a 5-year old and when he enters high school, it will be the first time I have a high schooler. Poor kid! But, thankfully I have collective centuries of experience from my own amazing mom and mother-in-law, who have raised such great kids and are such wonderful grandma's; my wonderful sisters-in-law who are paving the way just ahead of me and there for much needed advice; my awesome friends who are in it with me and can share tips and sympathy; and even though he's not a mom, I can't forget Spencer for supporting me, helping me keep perspective and loving us both so much. But mostly I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who gives me guidance and comfort always to help me do the best I can. I am one lucky Mama! Happy belated Mother's day!

3 comments:

Jeni and Dave said...

And what a cute little experiment he is! Someday remind me to tell you my friend's saying about first children. It's pretty funny, but I don't want to type it and possibly offend someone. Congrats on your first Mother's Day and nearly one year of being a mom! First birthdays for me are the most special. Enjoy it! Happy Birthday Liam!

Steve said...

You guys should come back for another visit. We can go to the shore or something.

Heather Jacques Wood said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your first "official" Mother's Day! It's definitely a milestone.