Sunday, August 10, 2008

Farming in the City


Although we have always had a slight prejudice about "Utah culture", we are finding that Salt Lake is actually very cultural in a more traditional sense. Our recent discovery is the Downtown Farmer's Market that takes place every Saturday from 9am-1pm in Pioneer Park. Pioneer Park is the favorite hangout of SLC's sizeable homeless population as well as drug addicts and other unsavory characters. Despite it's bad rep, the park cleans up nicely for the Farmer's Market.

This Farmer's Market is far from an ordinary Farmer's Market though. Of course there were fruits and vegetables, but there were also homemade soaps, "green" cleaning products, tye-dyed clothes, natural jewlery, art, furniture and plenty of raw, vegan food (anyone see "Baby Mama?). It was really more like a fair!
As we mentioned, most of the park's "interesting residents" vacate the area for the event. One of our favorite moments though came as we listened to a conversation between two who stayed. "I can't get any privacy in my backyard" they complained.
So sorry Mr. Drug Dealer! We'll be sure to wait for your inviatation next time we want to use our city's public park.
City living is so fun!

1 comment:

Margo said...

I was so excited when you posted a comment on my blog. I am always thinking about you and wondering what fun adventures you have had. I am so thrilled for you and your hubby. You guys are so cute. I was always so amazed by you and knew you would live a wonderful life. I love ya...margo