Sunday, June 12, 2016

Untitled

The problem with blogging is that I do it so infrequently I sit down and think..._______________ and I have so much I want to say that I don't even know where to begin.  I think I'm also having a blog identity crisis.  I find it so much easier to keep my pictures updated on Instagram with a blurb about what we did, and the past 2 years in a row I actually assembled AND printed a family year book (so does that make it a tradition?).  It's much easier to keep up the simple monotonous things on Instagram, so I've even wondered if my blog still serves a purpose?  But I have decided that it does, because I like looking back at what I wrote and it's written in a format that's slightly less personal than a journal so I think it will be better for my children to read this in the future (assuming I can ever get it together to print this).

But maybe I will go back in time just a little...

Since I did a First day of school picture, it must be followed by the Last day of school picture.
 This year Amelie learned how to write her name, recognize the alphabet letters and sounds, and has grown SO much when it comes to talking to other people-even though she is still really shy.  We debated for a long time whether she should start Kindergarten this fall or wait a year.  It was a tough call!  Her birthday is 5 days before the cut off and she is so small and shy, but seeing how her confidence grows when she is mastering challenges helped us feel good about the decision to start Kindergarten this year.  Also, big shout out to the principle and Liam's former teacher-who will be Amelie's teacher this year-for helping us find ways to smooth the transition.
This year has been SO incredible for Liam it's almost hard to believe!  He is reading above a 3rd grade level and mastered every unit of math (which now includes beginning multiplication???). Liam had a really wonderful teacher, one who was such a blessing because she too has ADD and was able to work with Liam in a way that helped him learn confidence in his learning.  I also can't say enough good things about what medication as done for Liam.  Not only has it helped him academically, but it has helped him socially-he has made a couple of good friends this year.  I think the greatest thing he learned though, is that he now has the power-through reading- to learn about anything that interests him, and he is interested in so many things.  So far this summer, he has read about 15 books on sharks, another 5 about whales and dolphins, and at least 3 on weather.  If he has a question about something I tell him "let's find a book at the library" and he does.  It's also fabulous to have him read to his siblings.  I love reading so much, so I am happy to have another book worm. 

We are already 3 weeks into summer-SO crazy!!  We haven't really had any lazy days at home because we would probably all go crazy, so we keep fairly busy but have lazy times during the day.  Between playdates, park, swim lessons, basketball camp, the library, homework time, a few chores, and play time, I think we are going to make it without going crazy!

No comments: