Friday, December 13, 2013

I Have My Hands Full (and My Heart Too)

Boy if I had a nickle for every time I heard "You have your hands full", it might pay for all those diapers we are using (sorry Mother Earth).

It's been 3 weeks since we've been on our own and nobody has gone hungry, the bathrooms have been cleaned 3 times, and I've kept up on laundry so I'd say we've been successful.  I've managed to get all 3 of the kids fed, dressed, and out the door a few times and so far there hasn't been a time when all 3 are crying at the same time.  Last Friday was probably the most challenging day when Liam had Strep throat so I had a sick, needy 4 year old, a needy newborn, and a 2 year old who was feeling the neglected middle child.  Antibiotics, a "mommy date" to the Ward Christmas party, and sleeping in on Saturday helped to make up for that day.  Truthfully life with 3 hasn't been as bad as I feared-although I have a great imagination so my fears were pretty bad, anything looks good compared to that.  I think it compares to juggling: I already knew how to juggle with 2 kids and now I just got tossed another ball.  It's the same technique it just might look a little awkward until I get the hang of it.  My house is a total disaster (but underneath it is clean) and I haven't cooked dinner since Thanksgiving (thank you freezer meals) but with slightly lowered expectations things are actually pretty great.  I love babies and so even though they require a lot of work, I don't seem to mind so much.  Liam continues to be my challenging one but he also adds a healthy dose of sweet in there too.  He is a really great helper with Amelie and he was so proud yesterday at preschool telling all his friends how Emmett loves to watch him while he plays.  Amelie adores having a baby in the house and Emmett inspires her to care for her own babies with all the tenderness of a real mama.

With each additional child I've wondered: Can I love this one and the other(s)?  Each time I've been humbled by how my heart grows with affection for each one.  It's just multiplying the love instead of dividing it.  I learn to appreciate their unique personalities and I am so thankful for each one-and still so very thankful to have Daddy home on the weekends.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

You made me a little teary-eyed there, Julia. You are a great mama. All three of your cute kids are so lucky to have you.