Saturday, November 23, 2013

The First 3 weeks

When I started writing this post I titled it "The First 2 Weeks" and now Emmett is 3 weeks old.  So it goes.  We survived the first three weeks.  I think mainly because my mom and Spencer's mom have been here to take care of us.  Reality will set in after all the Grandma's have gone home.  Never-the-less, we have survived this far so I think we will make it.

These first 3 weeks have felt really slow and really fast at the same time.  There's something in the sleep deprivation-up every 2 hours-not leaving the house combination that makes a weird time warp.  In the past 3 weeks Liam has had bronchitis and Amelie has had croup.  Spencer was pretty sick too, but Emmett and I have stayed healthy by some miracle.  The Lord knows just the blessings we need because writing that down looks pretty terrible but actually neither kid was as sick as they could have been.  I am incredibly grateful for the small miracles-like the friends who picked up extra carpool shifts to take Liam to preschool so that I didn't have to (or my mom either) or the friends who dropped off meals just when we needed them.  Believe it or not, even with 3 adults in the house it was so nice to have dinner just show up sometimes.  The Grandmas have been the biggest blessings as lunch makers-big kid entertainers-baby rockers-and moral support givers.  We are truly grateful for their time spent caring for us.

I know everyone says how subsequent children seem to grow so much faster, but Emmett really is growing faster.  At his 2 week check up he was 8 lbs 6 oz-a full pound above birth weight! and 21.5".  Neither Liam nor Amelie grew that big that fast and it is quite noticeable.  There is something about packing up the newborn clothes when your newborn is 2 1/2 weeks that makes a nursing mommy both proud and sad at the same time.  Emmett has the sweetest temperament being very easy going, patient, and peaceful.  This is just what baby #3 needs to be like.  It's hard to imagine life without him even though he's only been here for 3 weeks. 


 A few newborn pictures at about 5 days old.  He was most uncooperative unless he was warm and swaddled.




Grandma Nancy built several epic pirate ships for Liam.  Her creativity is astounding and she helped make the long, cold days at home more fun.
Emmett on his 2 week birthday.
 
Grandma Nancy
Grandma Utah-Emmett is loving all the Grandma Snuggles
 



 


1 comment:

Jana said...

Great update. I can relate to a lot of your sentiments! Can't believe how big Emmett's getting. Way to go Julia. :) ...Especially after surviving what sounded like sick season!