Sunday, June 23, 2013

An Unintentional Facebook Fast

It's been about two ish months since I've been on Facebook.  I don't remember exactly because this didn't start out as an intentional "Facebook Fast", which I know are popular.  I don't really have a problem with Facebook and I wasn't trying to make a statement, but for some reason I feel the need to share what I learned from taking a little break.  First I should say that this started one day when whatever political thing that was going on was getting quite heated on Facebook-as they usually do.   Having spent significant time in both the East coast and Utah, I have a fair number of "friends" who fall passionately on both sides of the aisle.  Anyway, whatever political thing it was at the time, people were getting mean and saying nasty things.  I'm sure a lot of it was related to hormones, but I found that every time I went on Facebook I felt irritable so I decided to take a few days off.  A few days became a week and then another and then it just seemed like more work to get back on.  So back to the point; what I learned:

1. I did not have a whole bunch of extra time.  I've seen lots of posts in the past from people who took a Facebook Fast and found they were "so much more productive".  I did not find this to be true.  I didn't spend a lot of time on Facebook, but I have not used the time I am not on Facebook to reorganize my closet or knit a sweater or even mop my floor with more regularity.  I would go on Facebook when I was looking for something brainless to do and I find no shortage of things to fill that void.

2. I did feel a lot happier.  Between the angry political rants/religious rants/comments on society/etc. as well as comparing myself to all the overachievers out there, I often felt Facebook could be that cloud that momentarily blocks the sun on an otherwise nice day.  Certainly these are my own issues, not Facebook's fault, but I found I had less of a problem comparing myself to others when I wasn't on Facebook.    Also, I spent more time reading articles on things that I chose instead of the mildly or not so mildly controversial articles other people post, which always ended up bothering me.  Again, my own issues.

3. I did feel like I was missing out.  I know people talk about the false intimacy of the Internet sometimes, but you also have to admit that it is a really great way to stay in touch.  Certainly I have more "friends" on Facebook that I could do with out, but I also have a lot of friends who don't blog who I still like to keep up with in a non-intrusive way.  I know, I've read the stuff that says if you aren't on phone call/regular emailing terms with someone you shouldn't waste your time, but I disagree.  I've lived in 3 different states in the past 4 years and many of the friends I've had in those states have also moved to several different states.  That means we each develop new friendships that we again have to leave behind to form new friendships again.  Many of these friends I still think of and thank the Lord I had an opportunity to know them, but after so many moves, I just don't have the time and ability to keep in solid regular contact and maintain friendships with those who live around me.  Facebook is the perfect way to see the adorable kids of these friends and find out a little bit of what's going on so that I can then send a more personal message for the big things.  It is also a fantastic way to keep up with my extended family and in-laws.  I really did feel like I missed out on a lot of family things.

So the bottom line is, Facebook isn't evil, but there is a lot of incivility that can make it an unpleasant place to frequent.  My plan now is to adjust all of my settings so I can see the updates of family and friends without all of the articles I don't care about and people I probably won't ever speak to again.  In the end, I think all technology has its benefits and drawbacks and it really is all about finding the balance that works for you to enjoy technology with out it interfering with your life. 

4 comments:

Christi said...

Totally agree. On it all!

Kim Davis said...

I think I did all the setting changing/hiding people who do crazy political rants during the last political election. It definitely made facebook faster to look through and the updates more appropriate.

P.S. I blog too -- semi frequently. My link is: http://www.littlemanbigworld.com

Rachel said...

I totally agree with you. Facebook is useful for keeping up with friends, but man, it can really drag you down. I've ended up de-friending quite a few people in the last few months because I decided I just don't need to be viewing such negativity. Anyhow, bravo to your Facebook fast - I wish I had as much self control.

Heather Jacques Wood said...

I really enjoyed reading your insights. When I was pregnant with Ella and preparing to take the Bar, I felt like I should deactivate my Facebook account because I didn't have the time or energy for distractions. I've never gone back, and I'm happy that I don't have one more thing cluttering my life (I have a hard enough time taking care of the important things :)). I think you have to decide what works best for you and your life. Sound like you've got what's best for you vis à vis Facebook figured out. Thanks for sharing.