Monday, April 22, 2013

Sunday Miracles

A few months ago Spencer was called to be the executive secretary in our ward.  This means that he is the assistant to the Bishop (the pastor of our congregation) in our ward.  The biggest sacrifice he has had to make is the 6:30 a.m. meetings on Sundays.  This is hard for Spencer to get up so early and I was very worried about getting myself and the kids ready and out the door on time for 9 am church.  We were always about ten minutes late to church no matter how early we started getting ready-in fact, it seems we can't really be on time anywhere.  There were always the last minute tantrums about not wanting to get dressed or "I'm really hungry" right in the middle of getting ready. 

Well, since January, I am happy to report that not only are we on time for Church, but we usually arrive about ten minutes early.  Certainly it has helped that I get the bags all packed up Saturday night, and I wake up early enough to get completely showered and dressed before the kids get up, but I know that we are being blessed. 

For example.  Getting Liam out the door to go anywhere-Joy School, park, play date, or grocery store-is one of my least enjoyed tasks.  There's always one more thing he needs to get or do and it takes forever to finally leave.  However on Sundays, Liam gets up and entertains himself until I'm ready to get breakfast, then he goes right upstairs and gets himself dressed, hair combed, and plays nicely until the timer goes off to get shoes on and in the car.  7 to 9 am on Sundays are some of his finest hours of the week.  He is so mature and helpful and cooperative, it's astounding.  And I know it is a blessing from the Lord because every Saturday night and Sunday morning I pray that I will be patient, Liam will be cooperative, and there will be kindness and love in our home as we get ready for Church.  Every week this prayer has been answered more than I could imagine and I am so touched by the small and simple details that the Lord is so aware of. 

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love this. It is such a neat experience to watch the Lord bless your family and to be able to see such direct blessings in such a specific way. I also totally understand the getting-out-the-door problem. I swear as soon as everything is ready, I realize Natalie has taken her shoes and socks off. Then we get to the car and she tells me she has a dirty diaper. Ah, children. :-)