Friday, March 16, 2012

Snakes and Snails and Puppy-dog Tails

...or basketballs, footballs, and soccer balls, since that's what this little boy is made of.  Maybe there's a few snakes in there.  Liam is at the wonderful age where his curiosity knows no bounds which can be alternately charming and exasperating.  The terrible two's are in full swing here and I am holding on tight for this crazy ride.

His language skills amaze me and he is becoming a wonderful conversationalist.  He remembers things really well too.  And he loves for me to tell him stories.  Fortunately for my creativity, he doesn't require a very complex plot.  This morning I was telling him stories about when we lived in Maryland.  He didn't seem to remember a lot of the things I mentioned, but when I reminded him about how we would go to the zoo, he suddenly said.  'Remember when the bird pooped?"  I burst out laughing because that was at least 6 months ago and I can't believe that stood out to him of all the times we went to the zoo.

He continues to love all things sports related.  He dreams about playing "basketball with the big boys."  And in fact, he keeps saying "I take a good nap and eat good food so I can be big and strong and play basketball with the big boys."  The big boys, of course, are BYU basketball players.  We are blown away by his drive and attention span for playing sports.  We are really looking forward to moving into our new house and having a back yard to play sports in all summer long.  He also has a great imagination and creates elaborate sports and Winnie-the-Pooh themed scenarios.  It's pretty cute to watch.

He's starting to grasp emotions.  He really wants me to be happy, although he loves to test limits.  So whenever he does something naughty and I scold him, he says "mama you happy? Oh, I love you so much.  You happy now?"  I tell him I'm _____(angry, frustrated, disappointed, etc.) depending on the offense or happy when I am happy. 


Having a two year old is a major emotional roller coaster.  Liam is a very charming and endearing little boy, but some days I can't believe what a mischief maker he can be!  I'm doing my best to weather the storms and hope we can make it through without me screwing him up too much.  He is bright and funny and creative and thoughtful, and even if he drives me crazy sometimes, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

It is fun to read the things your little boy is doing, since Freddy and him are close in age. Freddy has just recently become interested in emotions, Mainly just happy and sad. It is so much fun having little boys to raise.

Heather Jacques Wood said...

He's definitely a cute mischief-maker! Yes, toddlers can definitely stretch you to the limits. I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job keeping your cool, Julia.