Where do I even start?
I suppose with the reason I haven't blogged in about 3 months: our big move. For about a year, Spencer was applying to jobs all over the country. He came so close to several of them, but alas, he was still stuck at the same job in D.C. that he didn't really love. Meanwhile, we were quickly outgrowing our small basement apartment and searching for a new place to live. Nothing felt right, and we were a little frustrated. It was obvious something needed to change but we couldn't see a way to make it change. In early November, Spencer applied to a job. We didn't think much of it because he's applied to probably more than 100 jobs in the last year, but none-the-less, we started to consider the "what ifs" We just felt different about this job. Two weeks after Spencer applied, they asked for a writing sample. Another week later, they asked to fly him out for an interview. This coincided with our trip to Utah, which made for some tricky traveling. Just before Thanksgiving, Spencer had an offer, and we had to be moved by mid December.
We knew this was right, but it still took a leap of faith. I never had a chance to visit before we moved here, and it's kind of hard for a gal whose spent nearly all her life living on the East Coast to consider moving to a small, Midwestern town. We knew it was right though, and that fact has been confirmed to us over and over again by the way things have come together.
I don't always embrace change. In fact, I often have a very hard time with it, even if it's good change. I start to think about all the things I will miss and even if they are bad things, it's easier for me than the unknown. Even though there was no question in my mind that this was right, I had such a hard time saying good bye to good friends. It didn't help that all my friends were so generous in their offers of help that I was constantly reminded that these amazing women I have to privilege to call friends would no longer be a short visit away. Thank goodness for technology so they are still just a phone call, email or text message away.
Liam with his preschool friends
Although I dearly miss my friends in D.C., I am loving life in the Midwest. I love that Spencer is a 10 minute commute to work-max. I love that everyone is understanding of kids. I love living in a college town where I just feel smarter for all the smart things going on around me. I'm so very grateful for our time in D.C., for the wonderful friendships we formed and the experiences we've had. I know that I have left D.C. a better person and I am determined to remember the many examples I had that showed me what it means to be a kind, loving, and charitable person, and try to be even better.
2 comments:
I am loving the updates! We miss you guys tons and tons, though! Blake and I are always talking about how we wish "Julia and Spencer were still here."
We surely miss you at preschool! "L" will always be for Liam.
It sounds like you live in a great place, though. You'll have to share some of the cool things you get to do in the "college town".
Post a Comment