Thursday, April 24, 2008

I should probably be doing more productive things with my time (i.e. grade the research papers sitting by my feet), but right now I just can't! I love reading the New York Times and I just had a chance to do so after several busy weeks. I was slightly apprehensive when I read an OpEd titled "Faith of Our Fathers" and the byline connecting Mormons to the FLDS church. I was even more disturbed when I actually read the article, and even further disturbed when I read the comments posted after. If anyone feels like reading it, it's by Timothy Egan and posted April 23.

Maybe it's because of where I grew up, but I had no idea people were still so bigoted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! It's so sad to me how we are perceived as being "evil" and practicing "perverted behavior". Certainly many of these bloggers represent some extremist views, however it still bothers me that we can't be fairly represented. And that so many people seem to lump "Mormons" in with the FLDS polygamist society. It's really a shame that such a variety of lifestyles can be accepted but being a faithful Mormon is absurd.

Well, there's my rant!
Julia

No comments: