Sunday, October 15, 2017

Baptism

On June 24, Liam was baptized in our faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  We believe in children being baptized at age 8 because that is when we believe they become accountable for their choices and ready to make the covenants associated with baptism (for more information on what we believe on baptism, see here) .  At baptism we covenant to take the name of Christ on us, to keep His commandments, to always remember Him, and to serve the Lord and others.  It is a very important step and one that was important to us that Liam understand the choice he was making.  I have been so blessed by the covenants that I have made.  It has given my life meaning and perspective when I work to keep the commandments and remember my Savior in all things.  I hope for the same for Liam.

We waited a month for Liam to be baptized so that my parents could attend, and we were very fortunate to have Spencer's mom and sister Jeni's family join us as well.  Even though it was that point in summer when many people were traveling, I know that every person who attended meant a lot to Liam.   It meant so much to me to see Liam making the choice to follow our Savior and to see how happy he felt making the choice.  He said it was the best thing about turning 8!



It bears recording that this not-so-baby of mine fell asleep in my arms during the baptism.  Too much partying with Grandma and Grandpa that week made for a tired boy.  I can't remember the last time he fell asleep on me and it may never happen again, so I treasured the moment, even if he was so big.

 And an added bonus to the day, it kicked off our road trip with a cousin sleepover. Amelie said "there's too many boys in my room".

No comments: