"We have 4 kids, but you can't see one, because he died." This is something my children say all the time, to me and to their friends. It is just a fact to them and something they share simply, because they are children and don't yet understand the discomfort we feel about death. There are no tears shed, just smiles and hugs, and I really like that. It's an attitude I hope to adopt, but for now it is too tender for me to share so easily with just anyone. Yet out of all this, the lesson I hope my children keep close to them always is that there are hard, unexplainable things that happen in life, but there are also miracles to remind us that God knows and understands. I hope they retain that sweet faith when they ask where Eli is and I say "I don't know, but I know Heavenly Father knows." and it is enough, because sometimes, it is enough to know that a loving Father knows all. "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true."~ Alma 32:21
It has been 8 months and life feels very normal though much different than we thought. I ran a 10k, have taken a painting class, took an epic family road trip, took a last minute road trip to see the total solar eclipse, and we are enjoying our bigger kids. All things that would probably not have happened with a baby in tow and while that brings a little sadness, I can't go back and change what happened so all I can do is move ahead and enjoy what life is. It's been 8 months, and things are good, but it won't ever go away. Our family will move forward and enjoy our life and always remember the one we can't see.
memorial to honor babies, next to where Eli is buried
2 comments:
This is a beautiful post, Julia. Tears ran down my cheeks as I read it, but I ended up feeling peaceful myself at the end. We have a fourteenth grandchild that I always include when people ask how many I have. Once in a while someone counts noses in a photo and asks where the fourteenth one is. That's when I will explain more about our story. It can make people uncomfortable when they hear it (most do not know quite what to say), but there is no way I cannot acknowledge him. God's plan is perfect and works to our good. Your lovely post was a beautiful reminder to me. Thank you for that. <3
So tender to read, my sweet daughter. Your faith is an inspiration but if I could take this hurt from you I would. Some day I will know him but I already love him.I'm glad you have a way to share your feelings and to preserve them for yourself and for your children. Keep writing!
Post a Comment