Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Disney Cruise of a Lifetime-part 5: Cozumel

We were most excited about our day at Cozumel.  Spencer lived in Cozumel for a few months one summer while doing an internship, so he was excited to return and show it to the rest of the family.  He and I also share a great love of traveling to foreign countries and especially Spanish-speaking countries.  It also happened to be my birthday.  The stars were aligned for a perfect day, right? 

Sadly, the day did not pan out quite as we expected.  It was much hotter than we anticipated and due to the lack of sleep and busy day the day before, the kiddos were not so thrilled to be dragged around doing what we wanted. 
 First thing we did was tour around the Mercado.  It seemed that everyone wanted to experience "real" Cozumel and get away from the touristy areas.  Spencer knew just the place.

I'm sure we looked quite the picture with our group of 17 gringos walking around. 

 Liam used his charms (and maybe a little yelling too) to get a balloon out of a store window.  The store owners were very nice about giving it to him when they saw how excited he was about the balloons. 



 Right about here I sliced my toe on some broken concrete and feared the third world diseases I was getting in my foot. 


 After a lot of walking, we made it to the restaurant I had picked out from Trip Advisor.  All the reviews said the Enchiladas Mole were amazing, and I was hoping they were right.  As the above picture suggests, it was a little crazy until the kids had eaten...


But the restaurant was in the back yard of some one's house and so once the kids finished, they had a great time exploring in the back yard.  The enchiladas mole did not disappoint, either!

After lunch, our plan was to rent a car and drive to a beach Spencer knew of where we could relax and swim or snorkel.  By that time, Liam and Amelie were done with the tourist thing and both desperately needing naps ( I know, I know, I never wanted to be that parent who misses out on fun on vacation so her kids can nap.  Trust me, I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't absolutely necessary) so we opted to head back to the boat.  

Since it was my birthday, we decided to send the kids to the babysitting so we could enjoy dinner in peace.  I felt slightly guilty that Liam missed the Pirate conga line, but I think he probably had more fun playing in the nursery. (pleas excuse how tired we look)

I got sung to and chocolate mousse cake.  It was definitely a memorable birthday!

No comments: