Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lost in Translation

I just love it when babies are learning to talk. Blame it on my old job, but there is just something so amazing about watching those connections develop and babies learning that they can make something happen by saying a random combination of sounds. It's doubly cute that they can't seem to pronounce anything right and the attempts are just so cute.

There is also the really complex part of learning a new language with no one to translate for you. Can you imagine what that would be like? I'm trying to because it gives me a little bit more patience. I can understand why it would be very confusing when we say no to touching the computer, and then proceed to pound away at the keyboard. Or why it doesn't make sense that we cheer when he throws a piece of paper in the trash but aren't so thrilled when daddy's dress shoes go in the trash.

Somehow, some of it is getting through. Liam figured out the word "baby" last week and is thrilled every time we pass a stroller and demands that his little baby is always wrapped up in a little blankie. We have resorted to using Spanish on occasion because if Liam here's the words cheese, grapes, or crackers, he will repeat the word at an increasingly loud volume until his demands are met. I think my favorite part is that I now have more of a companion because we can communicate. Even when I get frustrated because "no" seems to be meaningless to him when it comes to pushing buttons on the t.v. or I have no idea why he is repeating "bapple" over and over again or what it means(no, it's NOT apple), I love the learning of language.

2 comments:

Heather Jacques Wood said...

It is so fun to experience your baby's new language development! That's darling that he says "baby."

Brean said...

Liam is so cute! Youi need to have more just like him!! My little Job is 15 months about the same as Liam I think but he is not saying much like his big brother! I wish you were here to help!!!! You were so amazing with Noah!!! Thank you and hopefully I learned from your example!!